Sunday, March 24, 2013

Cigar Shop Review: Carmack's Cigar Shop, Noblesville Indiana

I wanted to write a quick, if somewhat biased, review of one of the local cigar shops. Carmack's is located in downtown Noblesville (just north of Indianapolis) right on the square. It is an institution to local cigar and pipe enthusiasts. The shop has a big selection of home humidors in the front, along with a large humi that he keeps his stock in. There is a wall humi as well that stocks premium cigars.

Pipe smokers will love the place. There is a large selection of pipes and loose tobaccos, and the staff is knowledgeable of them.

The real draw of this place is the TV room. There are several sets in the room and I spent a recent afternoon watching the first round of the NCAA tournament there. There are a large number of leather chairs and a good crowd. This pale has the mandatory grouchy old bastards that hang out, along with some younger guys that round out the crowd.

The owner, Jeff Carmack's, took over the business after his dad passed last year. He's worked there for a long time and had a great taste in sticks. I let him pick out a couple for me and he grabbed a Gurkha Wicked Indi. He said "I'ce never been a big Gurkha fan but lately they've come out with some great cigars. This one stands out." I have it in my humidor now, and I'm waiting for a warm afternoon to try it out. Winter is lasting a while here I the hoosier stae, and it's cutting into my outdoor cigar smoking.

Jeff also recommended the L'altier LAT52. I have it aging a bit as well, and smoked an Undercrown robusto while I was there. It was a nice cigar, and a memorable experience watching Duke handle Albany.

This is a great, multi-generation shop. It's walls are ringed with celebrities that have visited when in the area. They host cigar events regularly, and they are knowledgeable without being cigar snobs. A newbie could walk in and be treated as well as a seasoned smoker.

I've shopped at Carmack's for years, regularly making the thirty mile trip to visit them. It's always been worth the effort. Carmack's is one hell of a shop.








No comments:

Post a Comment