Monday, May 13, 2013

Cuba Aliados Miami SE





There are two kinds of cigar companies, the traditional companies, and the upstarts. Start ups like Drew Estates and a Paul Stulac are some of my favorite upstarts, and Cuba Aliados is one of my favorite traditional style brands.

The late great Ronaldo Reyes left Cuba decades ago but took the skill and tradition of the island country's cigar tradition with him. His descendants, always mindful of the shoes they had to fill, offered up the Miami Special Edition on the seventy-fifth anniversary, hoping to honor their founder's legacy. Mission accomplished.

The stick is made with Nicaraguan long fillers, a Dominican binder, and dark Nicaraguan Habano wrapper. The construction was far above average, with few veins and an ample triple cap. The wrapper smelled sweet and spicy and the pre-light draw was goldilocks....just right. 

The fist few puffs were sweet and light, with a peppery retrohale. A smokey spice lingered on the back of my tongue and teased me, making me want more.

The burn was exceptional and the ash held on forever. The first third had hints of aged oak. It was full and satisfying. The stick smoked for a luxurious hour.

Just passed half way the pepper unfolded in earnest. I hadn't had a smoke in a couple of days, and it really hit the spot!

The finish was sweet and cool. The flavor lingered well after the cigar was done, leaving me all warm and fuzzy. This is a nice stick. 

Somewhere in the great beyond, I can see Ronaldo. In my minds eye he is playing dominos with old Cuban ex-pats, and he is smiling down on his family. They know how to honor a man who knew how to make a cigar.

Note: I tried and entire sampler. There were no bad cigars, and the profile included everything from value smokes to top notch cigars. This company makes some wonderful cigars, and I recommend trying a sampler soon to get the full effect.

Construction.       4.6
Draw.                   4.7
Burn/Ash.             4.5
Flavor.                  4.6
Smoke.                4.5
Value.                   4.5

Overall.                 4.6

No comments:

Post a Comment