Monday, April 29, 2013

312 Line by DeSiena




Almost a decade ago the DeSiena family travelled 'en mass to their native Italy. The family has owned Doc James Cigar and Golf for years, and for much of that time they have debated starting their own line. The family trip is what pushed them over the edge. They not only decided to make their own brand, they decided to give it the family name, and their crest. I like that.

I respect people that are willing to tie their reputation to the product they produce. In an age where big box stores have eliminated mom and pop businesses it's great to see someone planting the flag, tying their name to the cigars they make, and making them better than they have to because of it.

I tried a 6x60. I'm a Robusto guy. I do not like bigger ring gauges. They sacrifice flavor for size in my not so humble opinion. I like robustos because a 45 minute smoke fits my lifestyle and attention span. I tried the 6x60 anyway. I'm glad I did.

The DeSiena's are made in Placensia's Tobacos de Oriente factory in Danli Honduras. The Blend is as follows:
Filler: Viso Colombia, Viso Jalapa Nicaragua, Ligero Esteli Nicaragua, Ligero Honduras.
Binder: Honduras
Wrapper: Viso Habano wrapper grown in the Jalapa Valley, Nicaragua.

Yeah, the DeSiena family weren't about to tie their name to an average cigar. Good for them.

They wrapper was oily and virtually veinless. The construction was classy. It smelled sweat and tasty. When I fired it up there was an initial wave of white pepper that faded into a smooth cedar flavor. The medium/full strength was attention getting but never overpowering.

Half way through the stick shifted gears. It became very aromatic and smooth with hints of nutmeg and cocoa. The finish was creamy, so creamy I wanted to stick a toothpick in the nub and smoke it to the final millimeter.

I am a lucky guy. I get to smoke and review cigars all they time. Lately I've had a lot of good ones. This one isnt good.....it's special. It is made like someone was putting heir reputation at stake. The DeSiena family should be proud. In fact, I hope they take another family trip soon.

www.docjames.com


Construction. 4.8
Draw. 4.5
Ash/Burn. 4.6
Smoke. 4.5
Flavor. 4.8
Value. 4.6



Overall. 4.6





No comments:

Post a Comment