Sunday, April 21, 2013

Asylum 13 Review






I don't like cheap cigars, but I love affordable ones. Some of the makers out there make cheap, poorly constructed cigars and sell them at premium prices. Others, like Asylum, do the opposite.

I tried the Asylum 13 recently, drawn to it by its low price and interesting band. With so many different lines out there the new sticks on the market need a hook to draw you in. The name asylum and the ominous band did it for me. I would have bought the cigar at eight bucks, but was happy to try it for six.

The 13 is a sexy looking 5 by 50 puro with very few veins, an oily wrapper the color of chocolate cake, and a well constructed triple cap. All tobacco is from Nicaragua, and the wrapper gives off a sensual coffee scent.

The draw on this stick is solid, but eases up as you go along. It produces a good volume of smoke, and the smoke rolls off of the tip impressively when held. The ash was medium grey and held on well enough to suit me.

The flavor was spicy, and very full, with just a touch of white pepper. Between the spice and the fullness my tongue tingled after a few puffs, which left me impressed at the strength of this cigar.

The spice faded some at about a half inch in, opening the cigar up to some rich, dark coffee overtones. By the half way the coffee was dominate and the ash was holding on I pressingly. The flavor was full, and very rich.

The final third added nuttiness to the flavors that were already present, mingling nicely with them. I was very impressed.

All in all this was a nice cigar. It wasn't the most complex cigar I have reviewed, but it was damned tasty, and well worth the six dollar investment.

Construction. 4.5
Draw. 4.4
Burn/Ash. 4.5
Smoke. 4.6
Flavor. 4.5
Value. 4.7

Overall. 4.5













No comments:

Post a Comment