Thursday, April 18, 2013

Cuban Stock Royal Selection



You know, cigars are often marketed as being in the possession of a classy guy. We've all seen the pictures of a guy reclining in a leather hair, bow tie undone, blowing smoke.

Well I'm not a classy guy. I'm a dirt ball biker who hasn't worn a bow tie since my mommy made we wear a clip on at Easter one year. I was three. I do, however, know a classy stick when I see one. Cigars are my passion. I smoke them joyously and review them for fun. Everyday, when I wake up in the afternoon anticipating working graveyard shift I go to the door to find packages there from cigar companies. You would be amazed at how many I throw away. They come in Manila envelopes, wrapped in newspaper. Cracked and broken in shipping.

I don't review those cigars. If a company sends a shitty product to a review they are going to send a shittier product to you. I refuse to enable those kinds of companies. Fortunately, Cuban Stock Cigars isn't one of them.

The package was a cardboard box. The smokes were sealed in a vinyl pouch and packed in bubble wrap. The shipped it UPS. I knew before I smoked one it would be good. These guys take pride in their product.

Their pride showed in the foot band and embossed band. It showed in the oily, mearly veinless, Ecuadoran Wrapper. It showed in the high level of construction. It shows in the box pressed shape and the fact they age their tobacco for six years in oak barrels. They make a great looking cigar and ship it with care. They get it.

The wrapper smelled like sweet Java and the ash held on for almost two inches. There were no construction issues, no cracking or flaking. The draw was great and the burn razor sharp. They get it.

The earthy flavor at first mingled with pepper. It got my attention and midway it turned to a deep, full coffee flavor. I used to have a friend with a coffee shop. he roasted his own beans. he gave me one covered in milk chocolate to eat one time. it was a lot like that.

The final portion was oak and dried fruit (apples?) with a soft,sweet, nuttiness that gave the stick complexity.

This is one hell of a cigar. In two days I'm meeting my son. I was separated from him 22 years ago. He is twenty five now and loves cigars. I'm taking him this series to try. It's that damn good!

Construction 4.8/5
Draw. 4.6/5
Burn/Ash. 4.8/5
Smoke. 4.6/5
Flavor. 4.7/5
Value. 4.7/5

Overall. 4.7/5











No comments:

Post a Comment