Sunday, April 14, 2013

My Father Robusto #1





The story of the naming of the My Father line is near legendary. Jaime Garcia named the line in honor of his father Don "Peppin" Garcia. If have a lot of friends that smoke them, but somehow, all these years, I somehow avoided them, choosing others instead. I wasn't prejudiced against them, and I loved the story, but somehow my fingers always found another stick in the pile instead.

Eventually I submitted to the collective nagging of my pals and tried them, taking notes as I went. Here is what I found. The Ecuadoran wrapper was a beautiful chocolate like shade Ii found it just a bit toothy, with a few veins present. All in all the appearance was mouth watering, from the detailed band that looked like it was from another era to the sweet smell of the wrapper I started really looking forward to this cigar.

The predraw was full of sweetness and rich tobacco. Once I fired it up i found the draw to be good, if not great, and the smoke output was decent also. I found the first few puffs to be peppery with leather thrown in, though the pepper faded soon enough.

About halfway in the stick became smooth and creamy. The smoke really rolled at this point. It was quite nice and I left myself a note to write about how much I enjoyed This portion of the cigar. The note was unnecessary, as the memory of this part of the cigar lingered.

Unfortunately, at this point the stick was canoeing and there was flaking pretty much all the way through. This was by far the worst thing about the cigar, and it dimmed what was an otherwise enjoyable experience. I did contact several friends that enjoy My Father Cigars and they each said that my experience was atypical. I am grading in the curve a bit. Flaking and canoeing are annoying, but those faults were far outweighed by the wonderful flavor.

The finish was dry and sweet, with just a touch of what might have been cedar. The retrohale had a similar flavor and I ended up smoking the Robusto for a memorable 45 minutes or so. The smoking time makes a robusto perfect for my busy schedule, and this one fit it perfectly.

Taken as a whole this cigar was very good, if not great. Was it a Helluva cigar? Maybe not, but it does stand out from a herd of quickly forgettable smokes. I liked it and would recommend it at the $8 a stick price.


Construction. 4.4
Draw. 4.6
Burn/Ash. 3.9
Smoke. 4.2
Flavor. 4.8
Value. 4.7


Overall. 4.5












No comments:

Post a Comment